Saturday 9 October 2010

Back to Back

The task set by Michelle at GPP Street Team this month is make color copies of an existing prepared background and finish it in two or three different ways.  What fun!

This is what I started with (you may remember seeing this background before as is was created for a previous GPP challenge).


Here are my three finished pieces. For the first I sprayed black ink over a mask and stencil. I then added a rub-on and some words, followed by some yellow paint.


I used collage for the second piece - some paper torn from an old book and a doilly that I had previously used as a mask. I used a stencil to spray on the people and then added the words.


The third piece is a direct copy of one of Michelle's samples, as I liked it so much! I drew around my hand and then cut it out to make both a mask and stencil. I first placed the mask onto the paper and sprayed around the top side of the hand. I then removed the mask and placed the stencil over the area I had just sprayed, this time spraying inside the hand on the lower side. Isn't that effective?

18 comments:

cheryl said...

oh jackie you always come up with some amazing creations,just love the backgrounds you have done,hugs cheryl xxx

johanna said...

i love your samples very much, jackie!! i think my favorite is the middle one - the shadow stencils are just gorgeous! did you just cut them out from magazine people or how did you get them? must try something like that, too...

johanna said...

me again;)
i really like that effect of the hand spraying higher/lower side... very effective!!

Jacqui Chimes said...

These are lovely

minnie_mac said...

Love all three of your creations.

Marilyn

michelle ward said...

Jackie - way to go girl! Three pages made from the same background - well done! They are all so different, and each very strong. Great job with the hand!! Loving it!! Thanks for sharing your work with the team!!

Kari Desi said...

Jackie, Oh my gosh! These are so great! I love the colors in the first one and the people mask in the second. And yes, the one with your hand is effective the way you sprayed it. I gotta get going on mine! You've inspired me.

http://truutske.blogspot.com said...

Fantastic 3 crationsw, Jackie.
I love the all of them.

Anonymous said...

Great pages Jackie, I really like the effect with the stencils in the first one. And thanks for the explanation about how you sprayed the hand; very clever.

VStarRider said...

Very interesting! I love how you created a totally different feeling for each one - and I'm loving the hand mask-stencil idea! I'm going to have to try that too.
Cindi

Anonymous said...

Super art! I love the hand one best of all.

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

Supercool pages ! Amazing to see how many different things one can create from only one background ! Love the hand too, might steal that idea too ;-)

linda said...

Oh, lovely to see the variations... I like how the underpainting sort of connects them all, like a similar theme, but each is so different...

Gez Butterworth said...

More amazingness! didn't the hand turn out well. Will definately have to give this one a go. Your pages are inspirational.xx

Marble Blue said...

I would never thought of doing 1/2 a stencil on the inside, and 1/2 on the outside. That is so clever and is a great effect. I've never really used stencils, but your 3 pages are great inspiration to give it a try.

goudenregen said...

Great pages and your use of stencils is very inspiring.

TJ said...

I wish I would have made a hand stencil too now... those are SO cool. It's like a Yin-Yang method using half-and-half!! Happy creations from germany, tj

Regina said...

Interesting pages.
I love the effect you got with your hand mask/stencil.